Are you OK with cookies?

We use small files called ‘cookies’ on Some are essential to make the site work, some help us to understand how we can improve your experience, and some are set by third parties. You can choose to turn off the non-essential cookies. Which cookies are you happy for us to use?

Skip to content

Who can complain

We can investigate a complaint from people who are:

  • serving a prison sentence or on remand (in a public or private prison) in England or Wales
  • held in a secure training centre or young offender institution (YOI)
  • held in immigration detention (this includes immigration removal centres, short-term holding facilities and pre-departure accommodation)
  • under probation supervision or living in approved premises in England and Wales
  • complaining about escorts to or from prisons or IRCs
  • a lawyer on behalf of the above people

We do not accept complaints from other people, but you may be able to help someone complain.

Helping someone else complain

If someone you know wants to make a complaint you can help them by explaining the steps they need to take.

Read more about:

Complaints for people in prison

Complaints for people on probation or detained in immigration removal centres

If you’re worried for someone’s safety

If you are worried for the immediate safety of someone in prison, you should contact the prison as soon as possible. You can find the contact details for reporting concerns to the prison on GOV.UK.